I am an Assistant Professor of Computer Science at the University of the Basque Country. I am based at the School of Engineering in Bilbao.
This website shows a brief synopsis of my research, a summary of my professional experience and ways to contact me. Webgune hau euskeraz hemen ikusi daiteke.
My contact e-mail: unai.lopez -at- ehu.eus
My main research area is parallel and distributed computing, with focus on the performance analysis of High Performance Computing and Big Data systems. I am interested in assessing the performance of modern compute environments and in building scalable data processing systems.
Some of my recent works have studied the energy consumption of different Intel multi-core CPUs (WHPBDC 2019) and the scalability of a Large-Eddy Simulation Code in a large-scale compute cluster (C&F 2019).
In the past I have also worked in research projects related to other fields of Computer Science, like IoT/mobile computing (CPSS 2019, IWAAL 2011) and Human-based computation (UIC 2017).
A list of publications is available in Google Scholar and DBLP.
I joined the School of Engineering as faculty in September 2019, where I teach:
- Systems Administration, BSc in Computing and Information Systems, 4th year (Syllabus in Basque/Spanish).
- Database Administration, BSc in Computing and Information Systems, 3rd year (Syllabus in Basque/Spanish).
- Advanced Software Development, BSc in Computing and Information Systems, 4th year (Syllabus in Basque/Spanish).
- Fundamentals of Computer Science, BSc in Electrical Engineering, 1st year (2019/20 academic year).
Prior to September 2019 I have taught:
- 2017: Programming with C, School of Engineering, University of Deusto.
- 2014: Introduction to computer networking, School of Computer Science, University of the Basque Country (Teaching assistant for the practice sessions)
This is a list of software that I have developed or contributed to.
- RAPL-logger: A tool to monitor energy consumption in Linux and Intel-based systems using RAPL. Code repo and paper.
- Hydro3D: Large-Eddy Simulation code written in OpenMP+MPI, used to simulate turbulent flows. It is developed at HRC in Cardiff University and I contribute studying its scalability in collaboration with Pablo Ouro. Code repo and paper.
- BIDS Toolbox: A software to manage and process MRI data. Written in a collaboration with Cardiff University Brain Research Imaging Centre. Code repo and paper.
- S-KDE: An OpenMP implementation of the Kernel Density Estimation technique, used to assess climate models. Written in collaboration with Jon Sáenz. Code repo and paper.
- 2019-Now: Assistant Professor, Department of Computer Languages and Systems, University of the Basque Country.
- 2017-2019: Research Software Engineer, Data Innovation Research Institute, Cardiff University.
- 2017 (Apr-Sep): Part-time MSc Thesis advisor, International University of La Rioja.
- 2015-2017: Research Associate, MoreLab Research Group, University of Deusto.
- 2011-2015: Research Assistant, Intelligent Systems Group, University of the Basque Country.
In 2014 I did a 4-month research internship at the APT Group, University of Manchester.
- 2008-2010: Research Technician, DeustoTech, University of Deusto.
- 2015: PhD in Computer Science. University of the Basque Country, San Sebastian (Spain).
Thesis: Contributions to the Efficient Use of General Purpose Coprocessors: Kernel Density Estimation as Case Study, advised by Jose Miguel-Alonso and Alexander Mendiburu.
- 2011: MSc in Computer Science. University of the Basque Country, San Sebastian (Spain).
Thesis: Parallelization of a Molecular Dynamics Simulation Code using OpenCL, advised by Jose Miguel-Alonso and Alexander Mendiburu.
- 2010: BSc in Computer Science. University of Deusto, Bilbao (Spain).
Thesis: A platform to enable shopping for the blind using mobile technologies, advised by Diego López-de-Ipiña. Best Computer Science BSc Thesis at University of Deusto 2010 Award.
Contact and Social Media
My institutional web page with information about office hours is available in Basque and Spanish.
Address: Despacho P3i17, Escuela de Ingeniería de Bilbao - Edificio II, 48013 Bilbao (Spain).
You can find me in social networks like Twitter, LinkedIn or ResearchGate.
I have a SlideShare profile with slides of my presentations/talks and a GitHub profile with some software projects, including this webpage.